Tuesday, July 20, 2010

I can't sleep.

I have been tossing and turning for awhile now and I can't sleep. Don't you just hate that feeling when you know you need to be asleep but your mind keeps racing and you can't for the life of you do anything but look at the clock? Yeah. That is whats happening.

Anyways, I just finished reading the most amazing book this week. It was called Summer at Tiffany's. It was written by Marjorie Hart and it is about her summer spent at Tiffany's in New York City in 1945.

Can you imagine?!

She talks about many different things in the book such as Stocking Stick (a paint they used instead of stockings because they gave up nylons for parachutes in the war), midshipman dances, Tangee lipstick, lunches for 15 cents, Queen Mary coming into the harbor and being in Times Square when it was announced that the war was over.

I just can't imagine being there! I really think I was born in the wrong time. I would have loved to have been there in the 40's.

But, one of my favorite parts throughout the whole book was when Judy Garland came into Tiffany's while Mrs. Hart was working. Oh, you didn't hear me? Yeah. I said Judy Garland. She was coming in to get a wedding present after recent marriage to Vincent Minelli. I probably would have died if that had happened to me.

However, there was a Q&A section in the back of the book with Mrs. Hart and I found one of her answers really interesting...

Hats - the bigger the better - were one of the defining fashions of 1945. Do you miss seeing women wear hats?

Hats! Whatever happened to hats? Don't get me started. Men wear anything and everything: French berets, wool hats with ear flaps, or baseball caps worn backwards. What's the matter with us? How can we make a dramatic entrance without a black wide-brimmed hat? How about a Grace Kelly turban or a fitted cloche on a bad hair day? We need hats to protect our psyche, if not our health - a wide-brimmed Panama to protect the face, a warm cashmere for winter, and a wild straw with California poppies to lighten our spirits. Personally, I wear a snug hand-knit Guatemalan number for shopping. Wouldn't it be fun to have hat stores on every corner like Starbuck's and to call a friend: "Let's meet for lunch and try on hats?"

I just love her answer. I think she and I could be friends. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

kmb: wild at heart.